What is the Battle of the Books?
Battle of the Books is a reading motivation program that encourages students to read for pleasure, broaden their expoosure to different types/genres of books, and to help foster a lifelong love of reading. Titles are chosen by grade level, and students are able to form teams (up to five people) to read all of the assigned books.
The Fifth Annual Upper Township Middle School Battle of the Books will take place during late May 2015. Locations and times for each grade level will be announced at a later date.
6th Grade Battle of the Books Titles
6th grade Battle of the Books titles announced!
Below are the titles for the UTMS 6th Grade:
- OCTOBER: Bud, not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
- NOVEMBER: Chomp by Carl Hiaasen
- DECEMBER: Splendors & Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz
- JANUARY: Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea
- FEBRUARY: The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
- MARCH: Million Dollar Throw by Mike Lupica
7th Grade Battle of the Books Titles
- OCTOBER: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
- NOVEMBER: A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass
- DECEMBER: Doll Bones by Holly Black
- JANUARY: Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan
- FEBRUARY: The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
- MARCH: Bomb: The Race to Build--and Steal--the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin
8th Grade Battle of the Books Titles
- OCTOBER: Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool
- NOVEMBER: The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
- DECEMBER: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- JANUARY: Beneath a Meth Moon by Jacqueline Woodson
- FEBRUARY: Bad Boy by Walter Dean Myers
- MARCH: Bootleg: Murder, Moonshine, and the Lawless Years of Prohibition by Karen Blumenthal